#ShameOnGiro: Let’s Give Giro d’Italia a Reality Check
As millions around the world follow the famed cycling race, join social media actions to to spoil the party and give Giro d'Italia a reality check!
Social media call for action
Giro d’Italia is steamrolling ahead with its decision to start the famed cycling race in Jerusalem this Friday. They need a reality check.
Israel’s multi-million dollar bribe was enough to enlist Giro in its propaganda campaign. As a result, Giro is …
- Whitewashing, or sport-washing, Israel’s ongoing war crimes, including the deliberate murder of peaceful Palestinian protesters in Gaza, just kilometers away from the race.
- Ignoring the Palestinian cities and towns along the route destroyed and ethnically cleansed by Israel in 1948.
- Covering up Israel’s dozens of apartheid laws and policies that force some Palestinian communities to live without basic services such as water, electricity, schools and roads.
- Ignoring Israel’s illegal settlements, apartheid wall and checkpoints denying Palestinians freedom of movement.
- Ignoring the Israeli government’s explicitly racist policy of gradual ethnic cleansing of indigenous Palestinians from Jerusalem.
- Ignoring the calls from Palestinian and international civil society organizations representing millions, from Palestinian officials, Palestinian Christian networks and members of European Parliament to relocate the race.
UCI, the world cycling body, has kept its head firmly in the sand, refusing to take measures to ensure cycling isn’t complicit in Israel’s oppression of Palestinians.
It’s up to us to spoil the party and give Giro a reality check!
On Friday, May 4, as millions around the world follow the race, let’s rain on the parade. Let’s spoil the “celebrations” of 70 years of Palestinian dispossession.